Friday, September 20, 2013

EDLD 5364 Week Four Reflection


During Week 4, I was actually able to catch my breath and digest the educational material provided.  I enjoyed the videos on project-based learning and found several of the readings interesting.  My favorite reading was from Rose and Meyer’s Teaching every student in the digital age: Universal design for learning.  I thought they brought up some questions that I would love to debate.  They state that students should have the opportunity to complete assignments and tests in different ways.  Does taking a test on a computer verses paper and pencil change the outcome of the test?  I know that some educators feel that this scenario does change the outcome.  Unless it is a reading test, I do not see how using the text to speech feature on a computer changes the outcome of a math or social studies test.  I know that people feel strongly about this and have different opinions however; we need to focus on meeting students’ needs.  If that includes completing an assignment in a different way, we need to be open-minded enough to allow them.

Rose, D., & Meyer, A. (2002). Teaching every student in the digital age: Universal design for learning. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. Chapter 7. Available online at the Center for Applied Special Technology Web site. Retrieved from http://www.cast.org/teachingeverystudent/ideas/tes/

No comments:

Post a Comment