Sunday, September 1, 2013

EDLD 5364 Week One Reflection


For Week One in EDLD 5364, we had several readings and videos to learn from.  I enjoyed our readings, but I always find it interesting that these articles covering “new and innovative” ideas are anywhere from four to ten years old.  I was once reading an article that I thought was fantastic and couldn’t wait to try at school. After reading the article, I discovered that it was written while I was in high school.  My teachers should have been using these “new” techniques.  I should have had the opportunity to experience these theories as a student.  With that being said, I think we have to start pushing our teachers and making them try new ways to engage student learning.  We must incorporate technology whenever possible.  “Technical literacy should not be taught as an isolated subject, nor should activities with technology be isolated from other activities in the classroom.”    (Sprague & Dede, 1999)  Students today are digital natives and we need to immerse them in technology instead of having them “power down” when they enter the classroom.   Far too many times technology activities are given out separately as afterthought or time filler.  Technology should be seamlessly integrated into our daily lessons. 
The videos left me somewhat confused on the Constructivism and Connectivism Theories and after watching the Cyborg Learning Theory I felt like I was in the future.  In the cyborg video, Warwirk refers to being able to download information into our brains in the future, instead of reading or going to school.  I find this interesting, but I also worry about the lack of human interaction.  Many of his ideas and work with the nervous system bring about fears of having others control our bodies and minds.  The Constructivism and Connectivism Theories seemed like what we should already be doing in our classrooms.  Allowing students to explore, connect with others and reach their own conclusions.  As stated earlier, I enjoyed this week but I feel like this information should have been presented to educators years ago.

 References:

 Sprague, D. & Dede, C. (1999). If I teach this way, Am I doing my job: Constructivism in the classroom. Leading and Learning, 27(1). Retrieved from the International Society for Technology in Education at http://imet.csus.edu/imet9/280/docs/dede_constructivisim.pdf

Warwirk, K. (nd). Cyborg Life [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB_l7SY_ngI

No comments:

Post a Comment